Wednesday, October 25, 2006

thoughts on "real life"

Sometimes the things we do in our "real life" don't seem all that real do they?

I mean, when I am here at work, or if I am doing school work I feel good. I feel like I am really accomplishing something beneficial to me and others around me. I mean I am helping this furniture store continue to progress and succeed, and I am earning a living to support my family. I am attending school to better my education and eventually get a higher paying job, which provides better for my family.

~BUT~

This is not where my heart is. My heart is not in furniture, or in a university hundreds of miles away. No, my heart is not in homework and service calls. These things are not the things that will last forever, they will not affect the world. These things will not bring Heaven to Earth. My heart is not in these things.

My heart is in Jesus.

Jesus tells me the things I need to know. Jesus tells me to love my wife and to love my child. Jesus tells me to seek him. I have an insatiable urge to know more about Jesus and more about how I should live.

"and ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart."

-Jeremiah 29:13

Jesus also tells me that I should take care of my family and be responsible with my life... to provide for my family and to work for my boss as if it were Jesus himself. Jesus tells me everything I do, I must do it for God as if it were my only ministry for him.

"Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

-1 Corinthians 10:31

I guess when I sometimes get in the funk of thinking my life is nothing special, that I am not making a difference in this world, it helps to know that in everything I do, I am doing it for the glory of God.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I like the way you think, Joe. I find myself totally slacking at school because I feel it's not important, when in fact... every action I take has some effect in this world.

We need to learn to make a difference here and now in every aspect of our lives!

I wrote something yesterday you might find interesting.

We're always being called further up and further in!